Thursday, September 6, 2012

Revival Recipe: Caramel Marshmallow Krispies. A fun Fall Treat!





Yummy, warm, gooey goodness!


The only thing I do different is the sticks.

This summer in Utah has been a hot, dry one! We have been fighting drought, wild fires, and now floods.  Our hot, dry summer turned abruptly wet and cold yesterday! We got a super crazy thunderstorm that brought lots of rain, which is nice when you have been in a drought, unless you live in those areas where there were previous wild fires, then you get flooding. My heart goes out to those dealing with this problem in Sanpete County and now in Saratoga Springs. As I was hunkered down in my warm cozy home watching the rain fall, it got me to thinking about fall food and what I love to eat this time of year. Thought I would share a recipe that has been in my family since my grandma used to make these long ago. I guess they were once quite popular, but kind of disappeared for a while. I made and sold some at a country market a couple of years ago and they were a real hit! Many people commented that their grandma's used to make them, but they hadn't seen them in years. So I thought I would revive them again. I like to put mine on a stick, it makes it more fun I think! (I use the same caramel recipe for Caramel Dipped Apples, another fun fall treat.)

To make these you will need:
My favorite caramel spoon.
Bag of big marshmallows
Brown sugar, 1 Cup
Corn Syrup, 1/2 Cup
Milk, 1/2 Cup
Sweetened Condensed Milk, 1/2 Cup
Butter, 2 Tablespoons
Vanilla, 1 Teaspoon
Rice Krispies Cereal
Sucker sticks
Candy thermometer

Begin by putting the sucker sticks into the middle of the marshmallows, set aside, make the caramel by adding brown sugar, corn syrup, milk, sweetened condensed milk, butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan, cook on med/high heat until reaches 236 degrees on a candy thermometer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (I like to use a wooden spoon that is flat on the end, not round, it helps keep the caramel from sticking to the bottom and sides of your pan) so it doesn't burn on the bottom. When reaches 236 degrees, remove from heat and add vanilla, stir and set aside. Pour about 3 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal out into a 9X13 cake pan, then dip marshmallows into caramel, allow excess to drip off then roll into Rice Krispies and set to cool in greased cookie sheet or I prefer a parchment lined cookie sheet (less mess!) Mmm...there is nothing like home-made caramel!

 Add all ingredients except Vanilla into pan. Stir constantly until temp. reaches 236 degrees on candy thermometer.
This is what the caramel looks like as it cooks, and thickens. Keep stirring and watch your temp. When you reach 236 degrees, remove from heat and stir in Vanilla.



Pretty caramel, ready for dipping!
Dip the marshmallow into the caramel, allow excess to drip off. Then immediately roll into Rice Krispies Cereal.
Roll the Marshmallow around in the cereal until coated.
When all dipped and rolled, set on a greased cookie sheet  or parchment lined pan and into fridge to set.


You can put them on sticks as shown above or just like this to set up on Parchment Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment