Thursday, December 19, 2013

Recipe Share: Caramel Dipped Potato Chips

Hello there! Welcome back to my little "Patch-A-Heaven!" Since finishing my Cowgirl Tree, I have been trying to catch up on everything else to be "ready" for Christmas. This week I have been doing a lot of baking. The kids, grandma and I made Gingerbread houses over the weekend and now I'm working on neighbor treat/gifts and gifts from our companies to our vendors and clients. I have always loved home made caramel! (I think you could pretty much put it on a dry cow pie and it would taste good! Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you could put it on about anything and it would taste good!) I have a Cottage Permit that allows me to make and sell treats from my home so I have done this many times at local boutiques and people just call in orders. So I have made many a batches of caramel. It's such a beautiful thing. But while I was dipping my normal things like apples, pretzels, nuts, I saw a bag of Lay's potato chips sitting on the counter for my kids lunch. And I got an idea! A horrible, awful idea!! (horrible and awful on the diet, but so wonderful on the taste buds!!) So I gave it a try. I dipped a chip let it cool (so I wouldn't burn my tongue off!) And gave it a little taste. You know the movie Ratatouille when the tiny chef mixes those two flavors together and the lights and music surround him in total bliss?! Yep, that totally happened! And I'm not kidding! These are so simple, yet the marriage of flavors is amazing!! First you get the salty, crunchy bite of the potato chip and then from outta nowhere the sweet, chewiness from the caramel hits and bada-bing, bada-boom! AMAZING! Don't believe me? Try it, I dare you!! But don't blame me when you can't just eat one!!

What you will need:
Caramel Recipe, if you use the one I like you will need: Milk, Sweetened condensed milk, Karo syrup, Vanilla, brown sugar.
Lay's original potato chips
Parchment paper for easy clean up, if you cook the caramel to a perfect 236 degrees it won't stick, yet still be chewy!

Here's what I did:
I made a batch of home made caramel. Use your favorite recipe. Mine is linked here:
http://fancyewe.blogspot.com/2012/09/revival-recipe-caramel-marshmellow.html

When caramel is at a perfect 236 degrees, it's ready for dipping! I just dipped the chips and allowed them to cool and then the caramel is set, yet still chewy. Now is the fun part...just pop one in your mouth and watch the lights and music surround you!! If you want to be an over achiever you could then drizzle chocolate over them, today I preferred to go simple!

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?!?! This sounds crazy but good, my kinda snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it does sound crazy, right?! But they are crazy good!! Thanks for popping over Home on the Range Exchange! Merry Christmas!

      Delete